Abstract

http://ssrn.com/abstract=850304
 
 

References (11)



 


 



Diversification and Persistence in Hedge Funds


Craig W. French


WBI Investments

Damian B. Ko


Corbin Capital Partners, L.P.

David Abuaf


University of Chicago - Booth School of Business; Corbin Capital Partners, L.P.; University of Chicago

October 31, 2005


Abstract:     
We examine the current fund of hedge funds universe, and find that funds of hedge funds report holding between 1 and 200 underlying funds, and generally hold 10-30, with close to 20 on average. We regress the performance of this universe on the number of holdings and find that return is practically orthogonal to the number of underlying hedge funds held. However, when we regress risk-adjusted return measured by the ex post Sharpe ratios of funds-of-hedge funds, we do find a statistically significant positive relation over 5-year periods; this seems consistent with our findings that diversification reduces volatility.

We also examine the diversification effect on total risk reduction in a variety of hedge fund strategies, and we report the total risk as a function of the number of underlying hedge funds for four strategies: Equity Long/Short, Arbitrage, Event-Driven and Distressed, and Global Macro. We find that the asymptotic level of total intra-strategy systematic risk varies across the strategies, from about 3% to about 10% annualized standard deviation, while diversification across funds within each strategy reduces total portfolio annualized standard deviation by about 40% - 50%, at 15 to 25 holdings.

Finally, we examine whether there is persistence in the risks and returns of hedge funds, and find persistence in returns at up to 2-year horizons and strong persistence in total risk at up to 4 year horizons.

Number of Pages in PDF File: 17

Keywords: Hedge Fund, Diversification, Persistence

JEL Classification: G11

working papers series


Download This Paper

Date posted: November 21, 2005  

Suggested Citation

French, Craig W. and Ko, Damian B. and Abuaf, David, Diversification and Persistence in Hedge Funds (October 31, 2005). Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=850304 or http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.850304

Contact Information

Craig W. French (Contact Author)
WBI Investments ( email )
34 Sycamore Ave
Little Silver, NJ 07739
United States
Damian Bongjoon Ko
Corbin Capital Partners, L.P. ( email )
9 West 57th Street
25th Floor
New York, NY 10019
United States
212-634-7354 (Phone)
212-634-7399 (Fax)
David N. Abuaf
University of Chicago - Booth School of Business ( email )
5807 S. Woodlawn Avenue
Chicago, IL 60637
United States
Corbin Capital Partners, L.P. ( email )
9 West 57th Street, 25th floor
New York, NY 10019
United States
212 634 7352 (Phone)
212 634 7399 (Fax)
University of Chicago ( email )
1101 East 58th Street
Chicago, IL 60637
United States
Feedback to SSRN


Paper statistics
Abstract Views: 5,000
Downloads: 787
Download Rank: 15,384
References:  11

© 2014 Social Science Electronic Publishing, Inc. All Rights Reserved.  FAQ   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Copyright   Contact Us
This page was processed by apollo3 in 0.610 seconds