Reviews of Recent Antitrust Books (2006-2008)
13 Pages Posted: 19 Aug 2008
Date Written: August 18, 2008
The following is a compilation of book reviews and notices of notable books I have prepared over the past three years as U.S. Book Review editor for the World Competition Law & Economics Review and for the web site for the Institute for Consumer Antitrust Studies at Loyola University Chicago. All are short, none are deeply analytical. However, they all highlight recently published work that addresses different needs of the academic and practicing bar, and even includes a book or two of general interest to antitrust professionals. This is not intended as a comprehensive list of publications in the field but rather those that crossed my desk and appealed to me enough to delve into sufficiently to review. In particular, time did not permit me to review all the new publications by the ABA Antitrust Section or all the new casebooks and new editions of existing casebooks except where noted below. The reviews are arranged by date of publication and include:
1) Einer Elhauge, United States Antitrust Law and Economics (Foundation Press 2008); Einer Elhauge & Damien Geradin, Global Antitrust Law and Economics (Foundation Press 2007).
2) Handbook of Antitrust Economics (Paolo Buccirossi ed. The MIT Press 2008).
3) Edwin Rockefeller, The Antitrust Religion (Cato Institute 2007).
4) Thomas K. McGraw, Prophet of Innovation: Joseph Schumpeter and Creative Destruction (The Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, 2007).
5) William H. Page & John E. Lopatka, The Microsoft Case: Antitrust, High Technology, and Consumer Welfare (The University of Chicago Press 2007).
6) ABA Section of Antitrust Law, Intellectual Property and Antitrust Handbook (2007).
7) Gary Myers, The Intersection of Antitrust and Intellectual Property: Cases and Materials (Thomson/West 2007).
8) Antitrust Policy and Vertical Restraints (Robert Hahn, ed. AEI, Brookings Joint Center for Regulatory Studies 2006).
9) William C. Holmes, Antitrust Law Handbook 2007 Edition (Thomson/West 2006); William C. Holmes & Dawn E. Holmes, Antitrust Law Sourcebook for the United States and Europe 2007 Edition (Thomson/West 2006).
10) Reza R. Dibadj, Rescuing Regulation (State University of New York Press 2006).
11) Ky P. Ewing, Jr., Competition Rules for the 21st Century: Principles from America's Experience (2d ed. Kluwer Law International 2006).
12) ABA Section of Antitrust Law, The Merger Review Process: A Step-by-Step Guide to U.S. and Foreign Merger Review (3d ed. 2006); ABA Section of Antitrust Law, Premerger Coordination: The Emerging Law of Gun Jumping and Information Exchange (2006); Joint Ventures: Antitrust Analysis of Collaborations Among Competitors (2006).
Keywords: Schumpeter, antitrust, merger review, joint ventures, gun jumping, law and economics, microsoft, innovation, intellectual property, vertical restraints, regulation
JEL Classification: D40, D41, D42, D43, D61, K21, K23, L12, L13, L40, L41, L42, L43, L44, L51
Suggested Citation: Suggested Citation