Sequence Risk: Managing Retiree Exposure to Sequence Risk Through Probability of Failure Based Decision Rules
36 Pages Posted: 26 May 2011
Date Written: November 9, 2010
• This paper broadens the perspective on sustainable distributions by expanding into three dimensions, introducing transitory states as well as all those states existing simultaneously.
• Withdrawal rates alone do not tell a complete sustainable distribution story; withdrawal rates are time dependent.
• The Probability of Failure (POF), a time independent variable, is more useful for true comparison of withdrawal rates over any time period or asset allocation.
• Comparison of POF surfaces, and their shift between strategies, illustrates how effective one strategy is as compared to another.
• The methodology presented provides an ability to evaluate sustainable withdrawal rates and exposure to sequence risk together.
Keywords: Retirement Planning, Adjustable Withdrawal Rates, Sequence Risk, Probability of Failure
JEL Classification: D14, D81, D90, G11, G17
Suggested Citation: Suggested Citation
Here is the Coronavirus
related research on SSRN
By Wade D. Pfau