Status of Vaccine Cold Chain Maintenance in Delhi, India

Ind J Medical Microbiology, Vol. 28, No. 2, April-June 2010

2 Pages Posted: 25 Aug 2014

Date Written: April1 20, 2010

Abstract

A study was undertaken in a randomly selected municipal zone of Delhi, India, covering 32 government urban dispensaries and five medical store depots (MSD) after taking permission from competent authorities. Data was collected by a single investigator using observation checklist based on Government of India to ascertain cold chain maintenance of vaccines with the view to assess possible freezing. In 18 (56.25%) health facilities, the temperature was within normal range [2°-8°C] whereas in 14 (43.75%) it was below 2°C Celsius. Heat-sensitive vaccines [polio/measles/BCG] was stored correctly in all, on the contrary, freeze-sensitive vaccines [Hepatitis B/DPT/DT] were stored correctly in 20 (62.5%) health facilities only. In the rest 12 (37.5%), these were stored incorrectly in first shelf/chiller trays of refrigerator along with other heat-sensitive vaccines and/or floor of ILR. It was encouraging to note that vaccines were not placed in the door section of CCE in any of the dispensaries. At Medical Store Depot [MSD], temperature in CCE was found to be within normal-range [2°-8°C] at 3 [60.0%] and below 2°C in another 2 [40.0%] and freeze sensitive vaccine [Hepatitis B/DPT] was stored incorrectly on the floor of ILR in 1 [20.0%] MSD.

Keywords: vaccine, cold chain, equipment, dispensary, primary care, immunization, temperature, freeze, refrigerator

JEL Classification: I00

Suggested Citation

Sachdeva, Sandeep, Status of Vaccine Cold Chain Maintenance in Delhi, India (April1 20, 2010). Ind J Medical Microbiology, Vol. 28, No. 2, April-June 2010, Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=2483841

Do you have a job opening that you would like to promote on SSRN?

Paper statistics

Downloads
40
Abstract Views
253
PlumX Metrics