Teaching the Newly Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Values in a Changing World
Building on Best Practices: Transforming Legal Education in a Changing World (Deborah Maranville, Lisa Radtke Bliss, Carolyn Wilkes Kaas & Antoinette Sedillo Lopez eds., 2015), chapter 6
160 Pages Posted: 4 Aug 2015 Last revised: 1 Jun 2019
Date Written: June 1, 2015
This chapter of Building on Best Practices: Transforming Legal Education in a Changing World has contributions from many authors:
- Section A, Professional Identity Formation, includes:
- Teaching Knowledge, Skills, and Values of Professional Identity Formation, by Larry O. Natt Gantt, II & Benjamin V. Madison III,
- Integrating Professionalism into Doctrinally-Focused Courses, by Paula Schaefer,
- Learning Professional Responsibility, by Clark D. Cunningham, and
- Teaching Leadership, by Deborah L. Rhode.
- Section B, Pro Bono as a Professional Value, is by Cynthia F. Adcock, Eden E. Harrington, Elizabeth Kane, Susan Schechter, David S. Udell & Eliza Vorenberg.
- Section C, The Relational Skills of the Law, includes:
- Teaching Relational Skills: The Evidence, by Susan Daicoff, and
- Cultivating Students' Relational Skills, by Susan L. Brooks.
- Section D, Teamwork, is by Linda Morton & Janet Weinstein.
- Section E, Intercultural Effectiveness, is by Mary A. Lynch with Robin Boyle, Rhonda Magee & Antoinette Sedillo López.
- Section F, Social Justice Across the Curriculum, is by Susan Bryant.
- Section G, Problem-Solving and Conflict Resolution, includes:
- Teaching Students to Be Healers: The Comprehensive Law Movement, by Susan Daicoff,
- Teaching Alternative Dispute Resolution, by Andrea Kupfer Schneider, and
- Integrating Alternative Dispute Resolution and Problem-Solving Across the Curriculum, by Jill Gross & John Lande
- Section H, Interprofessional Education, is by Lisa Radtke Bliss, Sylvia B. Caley, Patty Roberts, Emily F. Suski & Robert Pettignano.
- Section I, Technology in the Profession, is by Conrad Johnson.
- Section J, Business and Financial Literacy, is by Dwight Drake.
Chapter 2 is available at: http://ssrn.com/abstract=2637068
Chapter 3 is available at: http://ssrn.com/abstract=2637102
Chapter 4 is available at: http://ssrn.com/abstract=2637490
Chapter 5 is available at: http://ssrn.com/abstract=2637495
Chapter 7 is available at: http://ssrn.com/abstract=2637541
Chapter 8 is available at: http://ssrn.com/abstract=2637544
The content of this SSRN posting is material that was published in the book Building on Best Practices: Transforming Legal Education in a Changing World, Maranville, et al., Lexis Nexis 2015. The content has been posted on SSRN with the express permission of Lexis Nexis and of Carolina Academic Press, publisher of the book as of January 1, 2016.
Keywords: legal education, law schools, pedagogy, skills training, professionalism, legal ethics, diversity, legal technology
Suggested Citation: Suggested Citation