Gender Analysis of Public Expenditures of the Republic of Moldova
109 Pages Posted: 3 Aug 2017
Date Written: August 1, 2017
The importance of approached theme lays in the equality notion as a multidimensional term embracing economic, cultural and social dimensions alike. There are strong reasons to believe that a reduction of gender inequality is important in the promotion of economic growth and in the reduction of poverty. A lessening in gender inequality, especially in its more extreme forms, is also desirable from human rights prospective.
The actuality of study is in mainstreaming process which is clearly essential for securing human rights and social justice for women as well as men; it also increasingly recognized that incorporating gender perspectives in different areas of development ensures the effective achievement of other social and economic goals. Mainstreaming can reveal a need for changes in goals, strategies and actions to ensure that both women and men can influence, participate in and benefit from development processes. This may lead to changes in the Republic of Moldova’s – structures, procedures and cultures – to create better environments which are conducive to the promotion of gender equality. Gender budgeting does not imply an increased focus on gender specific expenditure or revenue. Instead it enables policy makers to unpick assumptions of gender neutrality and examine potential ‘gender blindness’ when developing policy and evaluating policy outcomes.
The investigated object of the present paper consists in gender analysis of national public expenses, and more precisely to be – expenses on education, agriculture and social insurance insights, as well we dedicated some analysis to the salary gender gap and women participation in the public sector as we think this is a key approach of better understanding the gender issue in our country through the social dimension.
The scope and tasks of the current study is on strategies that have been put in place to address these constraints, including fact sheets on the concepts underlying gender mainstreaming, briefing notes on the linkages between gender and different sectors and competence development programs.
The specific objects of study of the present paper are the following:
• the study of theoretical and methodological notes on gender analysis of public expenditures;
• the use of statistical data in order to define the main items of national expenditures;
• the determination of the share of expenditures of different sectors of economy in the total public expenditures;
• the use of all disposable data to observe the discrepancies regarding men and women, and perform the gender analysis;
• the elaboration of suggestions for reframing and prioritizing public expenditures to promote gender equality;
• the identification of the objectives and conditions of implementing the gender budgeting in Moldova;
• the need, purpose and methodology of implementation of GRB in Moldova;
• the premises of GRB in Moldova and
• the directions for GRB implementation into the budgetary process in the Republic of Moldova.
Keywords: Gender equality, Gender budgeting, Government expenditures, Government expenditures for education, Government expenditures for agriculture, Government expenditures for social insurance, Education by gender criteria, Civic participation, Gender wage gap, Republic of Moldova
JEL Classification: A13, E62, H52, H53, H61, H75, I11, I18, I21, I28, I38, J16, J43, J88, O11, Q10
Suggested Citation: Suggested Citation