Nonverbal Communication in Negotiation

In Honeyman, C. & Schneider, A.K. (eds.) The Negotiator's Desk Reference. St Paul: DRI Press

23 Pages Posted: 13 Mar 2018 Last revised: 15 May 2018

See all articles by Jeff Thompson

Jeff Thompson

Lipscomb University - Institute for Conflict Management

Noam Ebner

Creighton University Graduate School - Department of Interdisciplinary Studies

Jeff Giddings

Griffith Law School; Monash University - Faculty of Law

Date Written: 2017

Abstract

The authors first review the research indicating that what most negotiating advice focuses on—what should be said or written, and how, and when—amounts to about 7% of communication. The other 93% is nonverbal....and is mostly ignored by proponents of better negotiation. They then set out to remedy this situation by analyzing different modes of nonverbal communication, and offering a matrix of ways to understand it, and to employ it more consciously and more effectively.

Keywords: negotiation, nonverbal, communication, mediation, METTA, verbal, listening, cues

JEL Classification: K00

Suggested Citation

Thompson, Jeff and Ebner, Noam and Giddings, Jeff, Nonverbal Communication in Negotiation (2017). In Honeyman, C. & Schneider, A.K. (eds.) The Negotiator's Desk Reference. St Paul: DRI Press. Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=3136798

Jeff Thompson

Lipscomb University - Institute for Conflict Management ( email )

Nashville, TN
United States

Noam Ebner (Contact Author)

Creighton University Graduate School - Department of Interdisciplinary Studies ( email )

2500 California Plaza
Omaha, NE 68178
United States

Jeff Giddings

Griffith Law School ( email )

Nathan Campus, GU
Nathan, 4111
Australia

HOME PAGE: http://https://www.griffith.edu.au/criminology-law/griffith-law-school/staff/jeff-giddings

Monash University - Faculty of Law ( email )

Wellington Road
Clayton, Victoria 3800
Australia

HOME PAGE: http://https://research.monash.edu/en/persons/jeffrey-m-giddings

Register to save articles to
your library

Register

Paper statistics

Downloads
308
Abstract Views
1,299
rank
98,031
PlumX Metrics