Müller, Martin. 2019. ‘Goodbye Postsocialism!’ Europe-Asia Studies, Forthcoming
Posted: 2 Apr 2018
Date Written: March 07, 2018
This paper assesses the trajectory of postsocialism and mounts a fivefold critique of postsocialism as:
(1) referring to a vanishing object,
(2) emphasising rupture over continuity,
(3) falling into a territorial trap,
(4) issuing from orientalising knowledge construction and
(5) constraining political futures.
This critique serves to sketch the contours of an alternative project that still recognises difference, but foregrounds links and continuities, develops a political edge and theorises not just about but from this part of the world.
Keywords: postsocialism, postcommunism, postcolonialism, Eastern Europe, former Soviet Union
Suggested Citation: Suggested Citation