Geneva Still Inspires? An Appellate Mechanism for Investment Treaty Arbitration
9 Pages Posted: 7 Jan 2019 Last revised: 9 Jan 2019
Date Written: January 5, 2019
This necessarily abbreviated workshop paper concerns an attempt to adapt lessons learnt from the WTO dispute settlement system (DSS) in midst of the on-going backlash against the investor-State dispute settlement system (ISDS). It is in three parts:
1) Part I describes current events.
2) Part 2 describes the proposal for an appellate mechanism for investment treaty arbitration. In particular, it describes how the EU proposal for a two-tier multilateral investment court (MIC) takes inspiration from the WTO DSS.
3) Part 3 lists some key questions in relation to such an appellate mechanism.
4) Part 4 focusses on how two sets of current reform proposals in the international economic law field – divided along the lines of trade and investment treaty frameworks – might interact.
5) Part 5 concludes this brief overview.
Suggested Citation: Suggested Citation