New AALS President, Vicki Jackson: 'The State of Legal Education is Excellent': A Reply
4 Pages Posted: 16 Jan 2019
Date Written: January 5, 2019
This essay is a reply to AALS President Vicki Jackson's statement that "the state of legal education is excellent." This author thinks that her statement is extremely naive and demonstrates a complete ignorance of the state of legal education.
The author criticizes her statement on the grounds that:
1) bar passage rates are dropping significantly,
2) minorities and low-income students are having even greater problems with bar passage and finding jobs,
3) high tuition is putting law students into high debt,
4) many law schools are having financial problems,
5) many law schools are not adopting effective teaching approaches.
In sum, legal education has been in a state of crisis for over a decade, and it desperately needs strong leadership to make the necessary changes. Someone who buries her head in the sand cannot provide that leadership.
Keywords: legal education
Suggested Citation: Suggested Citation