A Production Mobilization Plan for Immediate COVID-Containment and Economic Revitalization
8 Pages Posted: 7 Apr 2020 Last revised: 12 Jun 2020
Date Written: March 20, 2020
The Coronavirus crisis calls for an emergency supply-side economic mobilization to complement the demand-side measures fortunately now being discussed in Congress. The plan proposed here calls, in sequenced order, for:
• Emergency ramp-up of production of all essential medical supplies and protective gear and equipment.
• Emergency conversion of all productive facilities through which these supplies can be produced and delivered.
• Emergency construction of any additional facilities needed beyond what can already be quickly used or converted.
• Use of 37,000 U.S. Army Corps of Engineers personnel, equipped with already available military biohazard masks and clothing, both to commence the necessary acceleration of production and construction and to train and equip private sector labor to resume productive activity.
• Provision of all necessary capital, build any necessary facilities, and ensure no losses for any private business that participates in the mobilization.
• Temporary suspension, with automatic ‘sun-setting’ after one year, of any regulatory, intellectual property, or other impediments to expeditious productive acceleration of the enumerated kinds.
Keywords: Coronavirus, COVID-19, Demand-Side Relief Measures, Economic Mobilization, Pandemic, Pandemic Relief, Production, Productive Mobilization, Supply-Side Relief Measures
Suggested Citation: Suggested Citation