Technological Innovation on Conveyor Idlers
7 Pages Posted: 8 Jun 2020 Last revised: 24 Jun 2020
Date Written: June 8, 2020
Purpose of research:
• Traditionally conveyor idlers are made of steel or rubber lagged steel or PVC sleeved.
• Fertiliser & Chemicals are hygroscopic and tends to absorb moisture from the atmosphere
• This absorption accelerates corrosion of Steel components of the conveyors affecting the life of the idlers and the conveyor belt. Frequent replacement of idlers and the conveyor belt affects the productivity
• Most of the bulk material transportation is through sea where the humidity is very high.
• Steel idlers are heavier consuming more energy
• Corrosive surface damages the belt covers
• Finely finished surfaces of ball bearings are subjected to corrosion spreading from steel shaft resulting in premature failure of the bearings
• Lower energy required for rotation of lighter idlers
These gave birth to “HPPE Polymer Idlers” which is light in weight, non-corrosive and non-metallic.
Benefits in energy saving, costs saving, increased belt life and improved productivity.
Keywords: conveyor idlers, corrosion, HPPE Polymer Idlers, increased belt life
Suggested Citation: Suggested Citation