Energy Storage Deployment Handbook
Ramos. A; Meeus, L.; Schittekatte, T.; Broeckx, S.; Fernandez, L.; Keyaerts, N.; 'D8.5 Energy Storage Deployment Handbook', STORY H2020 project deliverable.
197 Pages Posted: 14 Dec 2021
Date Written: December 8, 2021
This part of STORY project deals with the business integration of storage into the power system and electricity markets. The objective as described in the description of action is to bring stakeholders a transparent view regarding the ways to roll out storage in the grid. A strong cooperation with the advisory board and projects council is envisaged. Specific objectives are to:
1. Identify business model archetypes for energy storage, looking at the potential users, as well
as the value proposition, value chain, and profit model. STORY also looks at the opportunity
of using open/collaborative business models and the role of IP arrangements in this respect.
2. Provide information for DSO’s and market players on the viability of a certain energy storage
business model in combination with a given regulatory and policy framework.
3. Improve the awareness of policy makers, stakeholders, and the general public about the
advantages and disadvantages of the main policy options for the deployment of energy
4. Support the policy debate with rigorous analysis of the options, and information about
different practices in different countries, such as definition of storage, market and network
5. Provide recommendations to policy makers and regulatory authorities to set up a
framework that will facilitate the deployment of storage.
This document presents the most relevant work done in the work package called ‘Business
Preconditions’, given that each item is a standalone article, conclusions and references per topic are given in each chapter.
Keywords: energy storage, storage business models, storage regulation, storage in distribution
JEL Classification: L11, L21
Suggested Citation: Suggested Citation