How Did IFRS 15 Affect the Revenue Recognition Practices and Financial Statements of Firms? Evidence From Australia and New Zealand

Kabir, Humayun, and Su, Li. How did IFRS 15 affect the revenue recognition practices and financial statements of firms? Evidence from Australia and New Zealand. Journal of International Accounting, Auditing and Taxation (Forthcoming).

60 Pages Posted: 5 Jan 2022 Last revised: 6 Jun 2022

See all articles by Humayun Kabir

Humayun Kabir

Auckland University of Technology

Li Su

Auckland University of Technology

Date Written: January 4, 2022

Abstract

We provide evidence on how International Financial Reporting Standard (IFRS) 15 Revenue from Contracts with Customers affected the revenue recognition practices of firms in Australia and New Zealand. Firms used the modified retrospective method more than the full retrospective method; however, the usage varied by firm size. The majority of sample firms (63.38%) reported that the standard had either no impact or no material impact on their financial statements; the remaining 36.62% disclosed IFRS 15 impacts in notes to financial statements. The disclosure of impacts varied by sectors and firm size. The standard did not affect the accounting for standard retail sales transactions. However, it resulted in the deferral of revenue recognition for the majority of firms whose revenue recognition was impacted by the standard. For firms that disclosed IFRS 15 impacts on financial statements, revenue was the most affected item. Cost of goods sold, contract liabilities and profit after tax were three other most affected financial statement items. Finally, the standard affected financial statements through multiple channels.

Keywords: IFRS 15, Revenue recognition, IFRS impacts

JEL Classification: L51, M41

Suggested Citation

Kabir, Humayun and Su, Li, How Did IFRS 15 Affect the Revenue Recognition Practices and Financial Statements of Firms? Evidence From Australia and New Zealand (January 4, 2022). Kabir, Humayun, and Su, Li. How did IFRS 15 affect the revenue recognition practices and financial statements of firms? Evidence from Australia and New Zealand. Journal of International Accounting, Auditing and Taxation (Forthcoming)., Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=4000926

Humayun Kabir (Contact Author)

Auckland University of Technology ( email )

AUT City Campus
Private Bag 92006
Auckland, 1142
New Zealand
+64 21 08309355 (Phone)

Li Su

Auckland University of Technology

AUT City Campus
Private Bag 92006
Auckland, 1142
New Zealand

Do you have a job opening that you would like to promote on SSRN?

Paper statistics

Downloads
84
Abstract Views
494
rank
404,131
PlumX Metrics